- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas mark 4. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sugar, soy milk, melted coconut oil, zest and vanilla extract until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until it forms a rough dough then add the almonds and cranberries and mix until they are well distributed. Use your hands to bring it together into a ball.
- Divide the dough into two even pieces and shape each one into a log about 5cm wide. Place them well spaced apart on the baking sheet and use your hands to slightly flatten them and square off the edges for perfectly shaped biscotti.
- Bake the logs for 30-35 minutes until they are firm and lightly browned.
- Remove the logs from the oven and set aside to cool for 15 minutes. Turn the oven down to 140°C/275°F/gas mark 1.
- Once the logs have cooled, use a very sharp serrated knife to cut them into diagonal slices about 1 to 1 ½ cm wide. Don’t put too much pressure on the knife, try and gently saw through.
- Lay the slices cut side down on the baking sheet and return them to the oven for 8 minutes. Turn the slices over and bake for another 8 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Once cool store in an airtight container.
180 g (¾ cup + 2 Tbsp) caster (superfine) sugar
80 ml (⅓ cup) unsweetened soy milk (other non-dairy milks will work but soy really is best) room temperature
2 Tbsp melted refined coconut oil (or another neutral oil)
finely grated zest of 1 lemon or orange (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract
275 g (2 ¼ cups) plain (all-purpose) flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
75 g (2 ¾ oz) whole almonds (blanched or with skin)
65 g (2 ¼ oz) dried cranberries